Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tim Riggins cookies

I was going to write about chicken today.  I had the whole thing almost written.  It was pretty funny too.  But then I came across this recipe during my morning stroll through the blogosphere and they had me at "Chocolate."  If you scroll on through the post at ourbestbites.com you will see that she includes some references to Tim Riggins. Now a year ago I wouldn't have known who this was but I have recently watched Friday Night Lights on Netflix and now I most definitely know who Tim Riggins is.  And these cookies fit the bill....really bad, but sort of sweet.  Here is the sad thing about Tim Riggins or actually about me.  When I watched this show I did not think, "Oh WOW that Tim Riggins is one hot cookie!"  Nope I thought, "That Tim Riggins, he needs a mama- Bless his heart"  I think that means I'm old!  That and Tim Riggins would have never even known I exisisted in high school.  And he would have scared me.

SO without further ado I give you "Tim Riggins Cookies"

(I loosely followed the recipe they give but made some changes to accomodate them being GF)

For this you need a chocolate cake mix.  I was skeptical because I don't like to use GF cake mixes.  I just don't like them and they are expensive.  This sucker was over $5.00


I used it though and it worked out perfect.  To the bowl of your mixer add:

1 box of chocolate cake mix
1 stick of butter soft, but not too soft
2 eggs
2 Tbsp buttermilk powder
a dollop of sour cream- maybe 1/3 cup

Mix really well and then drop by tablespoon fulls onto a greased baking sheet.
Bake at 350 for about 8 minutes.


Let me just tell you.  From break open the cake mix box to in the oven was about 6 minutes.  These were so easy to get in the oven!

While they are cooking take your scissors and cut 18 large marshmallows in half.


When the cookies come out of the oven place one marshmallow half on each warm cookie.  Place the pan back in oven for about a minute and a half.


After the 1.5 minutes pull the pan out and give each marshmellow a little squish to flatten it out.  Its all kinds of gooey goodness!


While they are cooling mix up the frosting.  This is also very Tim Riggins like!   Just a bit excessive.  Ok so Tim is very excessive but you get my drift.  Make some frosting!

1 pound powdered sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup evaporated milk (plus a little more if needed)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup melted butter
Mix it all up.  Its yummy!

When the cookies are cool pipe it onto the top of the marshmallows.  Some I covered the whole cookie.  Some I covered just the marshmallow.  It was just the right amount of frosting so be a little conservative with it.  Not at all like Tim Riggins.


It's almost Valentine's day so I added some of these.


And ended up with this.

These were really good.  And so completely easy.  Start to completely finished in under an hour.  And they look good too!  Perfect for a school party.  They got good reviews from the 5th and 6th graders at church tonight.

So go make these 'cause they are super yummy and watch Friday Night Lights if you're bored 'cause its a good show.  But don't be like Tim Riggins 'cause he's got issues.  Bless his heart.

1 comment: