Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Fried Cheese!

Ok.. so I normally don't necessarily cook this much after church on a Wednesday night but I ran across this recipe the other day and I can't get it out of my mind.  Does anybody else do that?  Please say yes.

There are some things I'm not sure my kids ever ate before they were GF and mostly that's fine.  If you don't know what your missing then no sweat right!  But some things it makes me a little sad for them.  Awhile back Shane and I went to a certain chain restaurant with excellent fried cheese.  It had been ages since we last had fried cheese and we indulged.  It was soooo good and I just thought it a little sad that Will and Jenny couldn't have that pleasure.

And then I found this recipe on The Pioneer Woman.  I love her blog and lots of her recipes translate well GF.  I decided to give this one a try.  Here is what you need:

  Cheese sticks, egg, milk, oil and 2 specialty ingredients:
1) All purpose flour.  I have a whole post planned about that one but for this I used Pamela's bread mix
2) Bread crumbs.  I found these at a local health food store.  I'm glad to because I tried to make my own a few weeks ago and it really was not pretty.  The recipe calls for Panko bread crumbs and Kinnikinik makes those GF but alas no where in Jackson, Mississippi so regular bread crumbs it is!

Cut the cheese sticks in half and roll them in the flour, then dip them in the egg and milk mixture and then in the bread crumbs.


I used 10 cheese sticks, so ended up with 20 of the finished product. Math was my strong point.
Well, not so much but I was a home ec major!

I just lined it up like an assembly line and dipped and coated.

 I did all the sticks before heating the oil and frying them up


It did not take long for them to cook at all.  Maybe 1 minute total in the oil.  I left the last batch in a little longer and the cheese began trying to escape it's breadcrumb shell.

Here is the finished product!  We didn't have any marinara sauce but pizza sauce seemed to work just fine. 
These turned out really good!  The kids gobbled them up and they got Shane's approval.  This was all the leftovers I had.

I would say this was a success!  Total prep and cooking time was around 30 minutes with the hardest part being undoing all those cheese wrappers!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment