Friday, October 14, 2011

Funnel cakes, Cotton Candy and Weight Watchers

Guess where I went this week?
I'll give you hint.

Ready to ride!
This is my daughter Jenny and her best friend Isabelle

Isabelle came home with this!

Jenny came home with this and for the record I paid $5.00 for her to play the game to win this little animal that I would have overpaid for at the Dollar Tree.


They served these.


and we stood in a long line to buy these.


Yep!  We went to the Mississippi State Fair.  My 13 year old was with me too and he had a friend with him as well.  I don't have any pictures of them because once I bought that arm band and handed him $20.00 I didn't actually see him again for a few hours.  He did hug me though and say thanks.  Totally worth it!

Anyway.  Not only do they serve Fried Oreos, they serve these:


These were the cause of many frowny faces at past state fairs.  How stinky to watch everyone walking around eating funnel cakes, and fried oreos and twinkies and chicken on a stick and all you can eat is the roasted corn.  Now I love the roasted corn but you know when your 10 years old-not so much.
It's a funnel cake you want.  So it's a funnel cake you get.  At home at least.

This was a simple recipe.
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/4 cup flour (Pamela's)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

Beat the egg and milk.  Mix dry ingrediants in a seperate bowl and slowly add to milk/egg mixture.

I put the mixture into a squeeze bottle.  I actually cut the nozzle down to get a bigger hole to squeeze the dough through.


This is not a pourable batter.  Defiantely a squeeze out of the bottle batter.  No way it would flow through a funnel so I went this route.

Heat a couple of inches of oil in a skillet and then squeeze the batter into the oil.


That's a weird picture, but trust me it's yummy!  They don't take long to get golden brown.  Lift out of the oil onto a paper towel covered plate and cover with powdered sugar.


I turned around to get some more out of the oil and when I turned back around I found this:


So....Success.  No frowny faces, lots of love.  Life is good.

And just so you know I actually looked up how many Weight Watchers points Cotton Candy is.  It is 5 points.  Ate it anyway.  Totally worth it!

1 comment:

  1. you are the BEST mom!!! I talked to your mom today and she agrees with me....you NEED to open a g-free bakery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete