Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Something's Fishy!

It's biodiversity week at my daughter's school.  Yeah.  I didn't know what that meant either.  Ok.  I'm still not sure what it means except they got to go fishing in the pond today!


I love our school.  Look at that little pond.  Did your elementary school have a pond?  Mine either!  Here is another picture.

She did pretty good too!  Look at this monster fish!


Squint!!  I promise it's there!!  
She would want me to tell you she caught 13 fish total.  All catch and release of course because there were 54 kids out there today and that's gonna happen again tomorrow and the next day.  Those poor little fish are gonna be tired by Friday.  It was almost as if they were trained.  All the kids caught a bunch.  The hooks were barely in their mouths.  They just let you unhook 'em and throw 'em back.  They were great sports about the whole thing which make me feel kind of bad about what we had for supper tonight.

Yep.  Fish.
Fried fish.  And it was good.  Even Jenny had seconds and that never happens.  Maybe she was feeling victorious.

This is one of those kind of made up recipes so measurements are approximate.

Started with 2 eggs and some lemon juice in a bowl and some flour (Pamela's), cornmeal and seasoning on a plate.  About 1/2 cup of cornmeal and 1 cup of flour and just seasoning to taste.  I used salt, pepper, season salt and garlic powder.
*****Be careful when buying cornmeal that it is straight up cornmeal and not a cornmeal/flor mix like Sunflower.  Mine was just plain old Kroger brand.

And of course you need fish.

Catfish nuggets.  These are bite size nuggets that I bought in a huge bag and keep in the freezer.  I rinsed them off really well and let them dry before frying.

Dip fish in egg and then dredge in the flour mixture.  I do all of them at once and line them up on a baking sheet.


Heat a few tablespoons of oil and when its hot fry a few pieces at a time for about 3 minutes on each side depending on how thick they are. 


Drain on a paper towel and serve hot with ketchup.  We weren't even polite.  They just picked them up with there fingers and dipped and ate.  

And just because I can here is one more picture of Jenny fishing!

Not  a bad way to spend the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment