Thursday, October 6, 2011

Soup and Shoes

I am icing my leg while I write this.  Why you ask.  Because it hurts.  It hurts because I have started running again.  I ran a half marathon last year.  You can read all about the weeping and knashing of teeth that it involved here.  At the camp we went to last weekend there was a 2 mile race/walk/ stroll/careful not to spill your coffee while you chat thing.  A friend looked at me at the starting line and said, " You're a runner, this should be a piece of cake for you.  Didn't you run a big race this year?" "Yes!"  I replied, but had to add, "I think you have to keep running after the race to be considered a runner." 

I started back running last week, but shin splints were getting the best of me.  Man! Those things are for real!!  But $120.00 (GAG!) later I have new shoes and they actually do help. I made it farther today than I have since starting back.  So somebody please ask me if I'm a runner!  Because today the answer is YES!!  

Anyway.  What does that have to do with food?  Well, I'm not sure why this happens to me every year.  I get the loose some weight, exercise bug every year about this time.  The time of year when I don't want to eat fruit and grilled chicken or drink water.  I want to eat chili, and cream soup and drink hot chocolate.  I want to eat this.

Taco Soup!

There are absolutely 100 ways to make this soup.  Whatever suits you works.  We are pretty plain jane over here so I keep it pretty simple.  And really if you look under the massive pile of cheese and sour cream the soup itself is not too bad calorie wise.  Here is how we make it at our house.  And by we I mean me.

1 lb. (or so) of ground beef, browned and drained.  (You can also use shredded chicken-yummy)
1 can rotel
1can chili hot beans (IMPORTANT!  This is the only really tricky ingrediant.  Check your can because some do have wheat.  For example:  The name brand is fine, Kroger brand is NOT)
1 pkg taco seasoning.  (McCormick is fine)
Corn- I use can creamed or fresh frozen or whatever I happen to have.

Put it in the pot and let it simmer.  The crock pot works great for this.  My husband is putty in my hands if he walkes in and smells this cooking.  It might be how I got away with $120 running shoes.

This is one of those great meals that you can cook and serve to guests and no one will think twice about it being GF.  Unfortunately because of the beans I wouldn't eat it at anyone else's house unless you knew exactly what brands were used. 

I happened to be the one who piled on the cheese and sour cream in the picture above.  I might have added fritos to the top when no one was looking.  So if you will excuse me I need to go run another mile in my cute new shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment