Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cookies and Cream!

Sometimes when I make cupcakes I pretend I'm on Cupcake Wars.  I have to make these cupcakes in 45 minutes or I'm out of the competion.  That's a little embarressing.  Don't tell anyone.

According to my kids, these are "awesome!"

I had not bought these until this summer.  They run about $5.50 a bag and there are 21 cookies in a bag. I counted.  The cookies are a bit smaller than regular Oreos.  Smaller and more expensive.  The story of our GF lives right!?

The first time I bought them I put them in the snack drawer and left to run some errands.  I came home an hour later to find my 13 year son eating the last cookie.  Of an unopened bag.  Twenty one "Oreos" in an hour.  $5.50 worth of cookies in an hour. 

I came across this recipe on Bakerella a few months ago and printed it out.  They seemed a bit extravegant for just everyday life, but I knew an occasion would present itself before long.  And that was today!  I have to make 2 dozen cupcakes for the school's fall festival tomorrow night and I thought these would be great!

The first thing I did was chop some of the cookies into fouths.  I put 3 or 4 pieces of cookie in the bottom of each cupcake liner.


I made the batter according to her directions.  I substituted Pamela's bread mix for the all purpose flour.  I absolutely love that flour blend.  It already has xantham gum in it so there is no need to add that crucial ingrediant.  It really works well for recipes like this.

I poured the batter over the cookies filling the cup about half way.

   
I baked them at 350 for about 20 minutes.  I usually like my cupcakaes to be uniform in size and just kind of rounded on top, but these puffed up really big and filled up these big liners great so I didn't mind too much.


Now for the frosting!!!  
I followed her recipe to a degree but also kind of fiddled with it.  I like to use butter for frosting but she suggested using shortening to keep it nice and white and I agreed with that so I used a cup of shortening.  That's the only amount I kept the same as hers.

Whip the shortening in the mixer so its nice and fluffy.  I then added about 2 tsp of vanilla.  That's a lot but I don't necessarily love the tast of shortening.  I then added about 1 1/2 pounds of powdered sugar.  I mixed all that together and then added a few Tbsp. of milk.  Just until it was the consistency I liked.
Then I chopped up three or four of the cookies.  These I chopped pretty fine.  


Ok so here is my confession for this recipe.  Bakerella suggested using 2 tsp. of chopped up cookie.  I used 1/4 cup.  I know, right!
I ended up with this.


Common decency mandated that I put this on the actual cupcakes but seriously, I really just needed a spoon!

I just snipped a pretty big hole in a bag and scooped the icing in and piped it onto the cupcakes.  I cut up the remaining cookies into fourths and topped each one with a piece.  
Here is the final product.


These were really good.  The frosting is definately not buttercream but tastes a lot like the filling of an Oreo which is just shortening and sugar.  The only thing I would have done differently is to add the batter and then put the cookie pieces on top instead of on the bottom of the liner.  They stuck to the paper to some degree but nobody complained too loudly.  

One last word of warning about these is that the recipe only made 16 cupcakes.  Minus 4 for my family and I don't have 24 cupcakes for the fall festival.  But it's ok.  I'm giving the rest to a neighbor and a few teachers and I like to give people food.  It's makes everybody happy.  

Of course I still have to make 24 cupcakes before 10:00 tomorrow morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment