Monday, September 12, 2011

Pizza, Pizza!!

Remember when you always got two pizzas from Little Caesar's.  "Pizza, Pizza!" the little Caesar guy would yell and sure enough you did get pizza, pizza!  Then Little Caesar's went away for awhile-I wonder why?!  Anyway several years ago Little Caesar's started popping up again- no more pizza, pizza! but you can't beat  a $5.00 large pizza! Hot and Ready now instead of pizza, pizza but good non the less!  I would pull up to little Caesar's after a day at the water park, give money and my rewards card to my child and in a minute out he'd come with dinner.  Of course I could see him through the class, but he thought he was big stuff!!

Well, those days are gone.  No more pizza, pizza for us and I'll be honest I miss that!  Cheap convience is hard to come by!   We do pizza a couple of ways around here;

1)  Kinnikinnik has a good pizza crust.  It's frozen and comes four to a box.  It costs about $8.00.  The kids like them and its easy.
2) Sometime  we will order take out pizza from Biaggi's where you can get a GF pizza.  With a teeange boy who can eat almost one himself and at $10 a pop this is not the best option for us.
3) There are frozen GF pizza's.  Gluten free and Fabulous makes a good one and so does Amy's.  Price wise they are about $6.00-$8.00 each.

and last but not least....
4) We make our own!

I have tried several different recipes for pizza crust with out a huge amount of luck, but this one I found not long ago and it is easy and was really good.  We ate it as a BBQ chicken pizza which is super yummy and feels more like a real meal than pepperonis although if I could grab that $5 large I so would!

BBQ Chicken pizza w/ homemade crust

2 1/2 cups flour (I use Pamela's bread mix)
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp dry milk powder 
(I use buttermilk powder because I keep it in my fridge and add it a lot to things.  It is found near the powdered milk on the baking aisle.  It is helpful to have on hand)
2 1/4 tsp yeast (1 pkg)
3 Tbsp oil
1 cup of very warm water (I let the tap run until it is very hot)

Combine 1 cup of the flour, sugar, salt, milk powder and yeast in a large bowl.
Add the water and oil and mix
Stir in remaining flour.
Stir until it comes together and then dump onto the counter and knead until it's "cohesive"
Put it back in the bowl and let sit for at least 30 minutes.  I let mine sit covered with a towel for several hours and it was great.

Now I know pizza from a restaurant is perfectly round but it's really nor necessary.  Just mash out your dough into a roundish shape.  I should have made this thinner but you can do it however thin you like.

I poked it a few times with a fork.  No real technical reason to do this.  Just seemed like the right thing to do!
Put it on a baking sheet and stick it in a 425 degree oven for about 3 minutes.  Just to let the top get a little toasty.

Now for the yummy part!
I cooked several chicken tenderloins on the stove and then chopped them up and put them back in the pan with a lot of BBQ sauce.  That is a very precise amount-a lot.  

BBQ sauce can be tricky-be sure it's GF.  I used Kraft original but Sweet Baby Rays is also GF.

I then spread more BBQ sauce on the warm crust.  Again I just used whatever amount felt right.  

Add the cheese.  Lots of cheese.  Whatever kind you like or have.  We had Kroger brand something.  We added a lot.  Its hard to mess this up.


Add the chicken
 Stick it back in the oven until the cheese is all melty and the house smells yummy.

Eat up! 
 You could add a salad to the table to make it balanced but to be honest we just had pizza!
This makes a pretty big pizza.  We all had several pieces and there were still several left over.
I haven't tried to freeze this dough yet but next time I think I'll make 2 recipes of the dough and freeze one.  I'll let you know how it turns out!
Then I'll have Pizza, Pizza!!

No comments:

Post a Comment