Saturday, September 17, 2011

Saturday Morning Donuts

When my kids were little we would sometimes go to a local donut shop on Saturday mornings and get donuts and chocolate milk.  Sometimes they would go still in their little  jammies.  Sigh!

We can't go to the donut shop anymore and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't agree to go in their jammies anymore either so it's just as well.  We'll just make our own!

I bought this little appliance last Christmas.  


It was on an end cap with all the "fun" food stuff and I kept eyeing it every time I passed by.  A mini donut maker.  Donuts!!  That could be so fun!  It was $20.00 and I hated to just grab a $20 "extra" to add to an already ridiculous pre-Christmas grocery trip, but it was donuts!!  I was in the middle of checking out when I looked at the checkout girl and said, "I'll be right back!" and I ran and got it and kind of laughed and said, "Sorry, forgot something."  Like I usually forget to grab the small appliances on my list.

Anyway.  The little thing has more than earned it's keep.  I use the recipe that came with it, but it is almost exactly the same recipe as the french breakfast rolls I make sometimes.  It is very easy and uses everyday ingredients, but it is a little time consuming just because it only makes 6 donuts at a time.  It's worth it though.

You will need:
5Tbps butter-softened. 
I just sat it out on the counter before I went to bed and it was ready to go in the morning.
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups All purpose flour.
(Two quick things here.  1) I of course used Pamela's bread mix for the flour substitution and 2)  I knew this recipe would most likely turn out well because it only uses 1 1/2 cups of flour.  The less you have to sub the better-in my experience anyway.)
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg (I was out-I used cinnamon-tasted great!)

Plug in the donut maker and let it heat while you mix the ingredients.

Cream the butter and sugar and then add in the egg.


Good things come from the words: cream the butter and sugar!

Mix the dry ingredients together and then add to the butter/sugar/egg mix alternating with milk.
Drop by teaspoons into the donut maker.
The batter spreads and it takes surprisingly little batter to make a donut.  I clearly have not perfected to right amount yet.


But it's ok.  That's why we have kitchen shears.  Snip, snip and you have this:


Obviously it's not necessary to snip your donuts onto perfect rounds.  I have control issues.  I fully recognize that. My family finds it funny that I snip the edges of the donuts.  

I put the donuts on a wire cooling rack set on a cookie sheet.  The reason will be obvious soon.


Donuts need frosting!  I wish I could give you exact measurements here but I just sort of mix it  until it's like I like it.  Here is what I used:

Powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla mixed in a bowl.  I then melted a Tbsp of butter and poured it in.  It  makes it so nice and rich.  If it is too soupy, add more sugar.  Too thick, add milk.  I then spooned it over the donuts.


Now for sprinkles.  I have an embarrassingly large collection of sprinkles, but for the life of me could not find any fall themed sprinkles in the whole lot.  I need a theme for my sprinkles  so I decided for just plain red ones because my son has a long practice today for the school musical and it's High School Musical and the wildcats color is red.  Not one person in my family picked up on that.  Can you believe it!


Yum!!
These are not Krispy Kreme type donuts.  They are much more cake like.  My kids love them though and I make them for after school snack sometimes.  It makes about 30-36 mini donuts and there are 4 of us and there are none left.  Please don't do the math.  It's embarrassing!

Oh and the reason for the wire rack on the cookie sheet?


It makes it much easier to get the leftover frosting on a spoon!

Happy Saturday y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment