Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tailgating

Even though we are from Mississippi my husband and I didn't go to Ole Miss or Mississippi State.  We didn't go to Southern Miss either.  We went to Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama.  We loved every minute of it but its not exactly a football powerhouse.  There was no major tailgating going on.  In fact I don't think there was any tailgating period although we did drive through the Checkers burger at half time for a cheeseburger and a strawberry milkshake.

So although we never perfected tailgating as an art form we do love to hang out with friends.  Our local high school (Go Jags!)  is right next door to our neighborhood and we love to go to the games on Friday night.  There is a large area out front where people gather to do some tailgating.  We have some friends we meet there before home games and its a lot fun.  Nothing over the top.  If you want to cook, that's great.  If you want to pick up a pizza, that's great too!

I wanted to take something my kids could eat but that everyone else would like too.  It needed to be easy to eat and transport.  So here it is:

Taquitos 

I found this recipe here on Our Best Bites and have tweaked it a little here and there and it has turned into a family favorite.  It is easy and good.

I used Hormel's canned chicken.  In a perfect world I would have baked or boiled chicken breast and then shredded them but it wasn't happening on Friday and canned chicken was made to be used right?  Be careful with anything canned.  Hormel's is clearly labeled GF so that is what I always use.

I shredded the chicken good and then added:

1/3 block softened cream cheese
Juice from 1/2/ lime
1 tsp. Chili powder
1/4 tsp. chipotle chili powder (totally optional-I had it so I used it)
dash of garlic powder
1 cup cheese- pepper jack is really the best but all I had was mozzarella and it was good)

Mix this all up and then pull out the corn tortillas.  I used extra thin Mission brand tortillas.  Microwave a few at a time for about 30 seconds.  This makes them good and pliable.  Put about 2  Tbsp. of chicken mixture on the end of one tortilla.

Then rolls those suckers up.  I put them all on a baking sheet and then, and this is kind of weird, spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and then sprinkle with kosher salt.  Or any salt, but I like Kosher salt for this.


Bake them at 425 for about 15 minutes.  Line 'em up on a tray and you are good to go!


My kids are NOT corn tortilla fans, but they love these.  The tortilla gets crunchy not mushy.  These are great with sour cream or salsa.
Happy Tailgating!!

**I know it's a little weird to post about tailgating on a Tuesday morning but Blogger was giving me fits this weekend or it would have been a little better timed.  Kind of like the fact that I'm about to write one called "Monday Morning Muffins."  Oh well, better late than never!


No comments:

Post a Comment