Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Monday Morning Muffins

Yea.  I know.  It's Tuesday morning.  Sorry.  I'm totally blaming it on Blogger.  I wrote a post for about half an hour yesterday and then Blogger made it go away and I just had to move on.  I like the alliteration of Monday Morning Muffins too much to change it.  Anyway.....

Yesterday was Labor Day and I love having my people home on Mondays.  Just feels good.  It was rainy, rainy, and dark and a little bit chilly outside.  I was up before everyone else.  Not that it was early.  Everybody else just slept really late.  I love to be up before everyone with it kind of dark outside.  I love to cook then.  Make my house smell good and have something good waiting for the people I love.  Makes me feel motherly and happy.

I had been wanting to make these and just had not done it yet, but I had all the ingredients and a quiet house so I decided to go for it.  Straight from Pioneer Woman Cooks   I give you:


Marmalade Muffins

I used Pamela's Bread Mix and Flour Blend for the all purpose flour.  

Cream 2 sticks of butter and a cup of sugar.  Yea.  I know.
Add 2 eggs and mix until combined.

(I used the electric mixer for most of this but got a little wigged out that I was using the mixer on muffins.  If you over mix muffins they will be tough and GF muffins have that issue anyway.  I mixed everything just slightly and then finished up by hand.  It's the Home Ec. major in me.)

Next, add 2 cups of all purpose flour.  I put it in a bowl and give it a good stir with the whisk to "fluff" it.  That totally contradicts the whole Home Ec. major thing but I don't own a sifter.  

Mix it just a little.

Put a tsp of baking soda into 1 cup of buttermilk and add to mixture.
(I have started to keep buttermilk as a staple in my fridge-makes all things good and works especially good for GF things)

Add the zest of 2 oranges.  YUMMY!!  This made my house small like a dream!
Finish mixing by hand.  Grease a mini muffin pan and fill it up.

Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

While baking, mix the juice from the oranges and 1 cup of brown sugar.  Yea. I know.

When muffins come out of the oven spoon the "sauce" over the warm muffins before removing from the pan.
Let sit for a minute and then remove.

These were fabulous!!

We each ate a couple for breakfast and when I came back through the kitchen later the rest were gone.  Consumed by the teenager.

Which totally cracks me up because 2 years ago pre gluten free he ate nearly nothing.  At all.  Now he eats a dozen mini muffins without even thinking about it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment